Saturday, June 23, 2012

hostel territory

Just arrived at Indy Hostel in Indianapolis, IN. It's stop #1 on a three-day road trip to Chicago to get my Visitor's Visa from the Taipei Representative Office. 

When preparing to get my visa, I saw that there was no way I could mail the forms in and receive the visa in time. Therefore, I knew I'd have to drive or fly to Chicago. (Imagine my huge, enormous, intense disappointment about this development, which I was totally not psyched about at all.) In planning this trip, I saw that going through Indy instead of Toledo would take about the same amount of time, so I added another day and a detour to my itinerary. Here's how it lays out:

Day 1, Saturday June 23
Drive to Indianapolis. (Check!)

Day 2, Sunday June 24
Play "tourist" in Indianapolis.
Drive to Chicago, arrive that evening.

Day 3, Monday June 25
Submit visa application at Taipei Representative Office that morning.
Play "tourist" the rest of the day.

Day 4, Tuesday June 26
Pick up visa (hopefully!).
Drive home.

And there you have it! It's midnight and I got into Indianapolis about a half hour ago. Thankfully the GPS on my dashboard lead me right here without trouble, and the multitude of CDs I got from the library kept me awake. (Popular CDs included the soundtracks from Chicago, Spirited Away, and Hairspray.) I've arrived at the Indy Hostel and it's just as advertised. I love it already! There's a common room, a small den, and two bathrooms upstairs with showers. I'll be in a room with four bunkbeds, one of which is already occupied by another girl staying here. I can't believe I'm getting this great place to stay for only $30.

I was really nervous about staying in a hostel, but so far, with a total of ten minutes spent here, I think I've changed my mind. If I can find a Planet Fitness tomorrow and all goes well tonight, this stay will be an official success.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment