Monday, June 25, 2012

mode of transportation

I have noticed that Chicagoans really like biking. And, if they're not biking, they're jogging. Through parks, along streets, down sidewalks, everywhere. The main forms of exercise around here seem to be jogging and biking. Sensible people.


In other news, I love public transportation. I was worried about it when I first got on the train this morning. By noon I was explaining how the Red Line works and which stops went where to a couple of older gentlemen who asked me at the crosswalk. I don't quite use the train like a vet, but I've been on and off five or six times already, used at least two lines (Red and Orange) and I can tell you it is one of my favorite modes of transportation. It's quick, it's efficient, and there's none of this "Was that my turn I just missed? Why are all these streets one-way? Where the heck do I park my car?!" nonsense I run into when driving. Nope. I get on a train, I ride it to my stop, I get off, I walk.
Also, I have not once gotten lost. I've been turned around, as in I find I'm walking down the right street in the wrong direction, but I've not had a single moment of "Okay, where am I?!". I almost can't believe it. I'm notoriously bad with directions, although I'm starting to think that's only in cars, where things move too fast for me to think about where I'm going and notice landmarks. I'm taking to this train/walking thing like a fish in water. It's making me a lot less nervous about adapting to city life and a public transit system in Taiwan--even though all that will be in a completely different language.
I really like Chicago. It's like Squirrel Hill in Pennsylvania, but with attitude. I like how many different people you encounter on an hourly basis, whether it's walking by them on the street or sitting by them on the train. I see people in business suits and street clothes, high heels and sandals, people with backpacks and books and purses and shopping bags. (Sidenote: Chicagoans are really well-read. I saw one person reading "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and another reading "Crime and Punishment.") I've only been here one day, but I like the city a lot, and I kinda wish Groupon had picked me up for that job so I could live here.
I had tons of plans for things to do, and only did two: turn in my visa application materials and visit the aquarium. The first was easier than expected, and the second was incredibly fun. There were so many crazy kinds of fish, and a tank of sharks, and an entire exhibit about jellyfish called "Jellies." :3 The whole experience made me laugh and giggle like a kid. Even though there are things in the ocean that can bite, sting, poison, and generally injure me, I really love it and just watching fish swim around in a giant tank makes me grin. I want to jump in with them and swim!
In front of the Caribbean tank.

 Seahorses! Napping.

Clownfish wiggling around in a sea anemone. 

Sea lion! 

Jellyfish. 

Upsidedown jellyfish. And a snail.

Tomorrow I pick up my visa and head home. Six hour drive, ugh. I'm going to try to swing by the American Girl store before hitting the road. I need an "American Girl: Chicago" doll shirt to go with the "American Girl: New York" one I got eight years ago!



Day 1, Saturday June 23
Drive to Indianapolis. (Check!)

Day 2, Sunday June 24
Play "tourist" in Indianapolis. (Check!)
Drive to Chicago, arrive that evening. (Check!)

Day 3, Monday June 25
Submit visa application at Taipei Representative Office that morning. (Check!)
Play "tourist" the rest of the day. (Check!)

Day 4, Tuesday June 26
Pick up visa (hopefully!).
Drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment