Skip to main content

breakfast is sacred

I stopped by the nearby supermarket and bought corn flakes and a small carton of milk. I'm eating some now, but I'm saving some for tomorrow, for breakfast. The one thing that's driven me a bit nuts about this country is that I don't have any way to prepare food in my apartment--not so much as a microwave. So any time I want food, I have to go out and get it from someone, which means dealing with "What am I hungry for? How much do I want to spend? What's nearby? What's open? What's healthy?"


I'm learning to deal with that for lunch and dinner, but sometimes, when you've just woken up, you don't want to have to deal with other people just to satisfy your first basic need of the day. Sometimes, you just want to eat breakfast by yourself in your pajamas while surfing the 'net on your computer.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hitachinaka, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan

That's one small confirmation email for Caitlin... one giant leap forward toward Japan. This evening I spoke with a representative from the Tokyo office of my employer company, Interac. The purpose of the phone call was to discuss a confirmed placement they had available for me, should I accept it: Hitachinaka, a city in Ibaraki Prefecture in Japan. Hitachinaka is a seaside city located about two to three hours (by train) north-east of Tokyo. As I understand it, I'd be driving between a few schools, namely elementary and jr. high schools, and there should be a few other foreigners in the area for me to learn from and make friends with while I'm settling in, which would be very welcome in a foreign country. Just now I sent an email confirmation to Interac, accepting the placement. My new destination is Hitachinaka, which I cannot yet say three times fast without getting tongue-tied but will have to learn quickly! There are some absolutely gorgeous scenery p...

gojira is hungry

On my first day of teaching, I played a game with some of my classes that is called "Wolf," but I renamed it "Gojira" (Godzilla) to make it a bit more culturally accessible. The game has Gojira (me) "sleeping," while the students call out a question, such as "What's your name?". If I give the key answer ("My name is Gojira!" and not, say, "My name is Pikachu."), I pretend to chase a few lucky students back to their seats. If I catch them, I get a point. If I don't catch them, the students (as a group) get a point. I'm explaining this to you so you understand who "Gojira" is in the context of this update. Gojira is me. And every day, after chasing around kids, Gojira is very hungry. I have two burners in my little "kitchen" area, plus a sink, some shelves, and a cabinet the size of a shoebox. This is my space. Still, it's infinitely more cooking room and appliances than I had in Taiwan. I...

Updates: The Journey in Asia Continues

Hey peeps! Ever since I came back from Asia, this blog has been dead. Mostly that's because there's very little to talk about when your occupation is "unemployed" and your location is "my house, I've Lived Here All My Life, USA." I've spent most of my time re-learning how to be American and searching for jobs in Japan. And finally, finally, all that hard work has paid off. I have secured myself one (1) job with an ALT company in Japan. I have no idea where I'll be in Japan, what school I'll be at, or what grades I'll be teaching. However, this does not matter. Not at all. Not even a little bit. Because finally, after two years of working toward this and many years of imagining and dreaming (and being quite sure it would never actually happen), I am going to Japan. MARCH 2014! (As long as my VISA and and Eligibility Application all go through, so, cross your fingers for me on that, please.) In the mean time, I'm working on ...