Wednesday, July 18, 2012

adventures in fruit

 I ate a mango once. It was difficult to cut, a little like eating hair, and dull in flavor.
This sucker I'm chopping up here is bleeding sweet mango nectar, and it's like eating pure delicious. Amelia gave these to me after using them for demonstrations in her class.
I ate the smaller one. They were both bigger than my fist, though!

There's a large, flat seed in the middle so I sliced fat slivers of fruit around the seed and ate it like watermelon. This soon proved to be a mere formality, however, as the meat was tender enough for me to peel the skin right off it. Juice was going everywhere and I didn't care.

The aftermath. Nothing but juice and devastation remains. The big piece at the bottom is the seed, which I sucked as clean as I could.

This definitely counted as one of the best things I had ever eaten. Before this I'd have said I like mango flavor, and that I liked the fruit itself well enough. This was mango on a whole different level. The closer the meat grew to the skin, the sweeter it was. Amelia told me it's good to bruise the fruit beforehand and stick a straw in it to suck out the juice. I think I'm going to do that with the other mango.

So I'm having milk tea, leftover vegetables, and mango for dinner. It doesn't get much better than this.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Eating local is always the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! I'll be eating a lot of fruit here. :)

    ReplyDelete