Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hitachinaka, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan

That's one small confirmation email for Caitlin... one giant leap forward toward Japan.

This evening I spoke with a representative from the Tokyo office of my employer company, Interac. The purpose of the phone call was to discuss a confirmed placement they had available for me, should I accept it: Hitachinaka, a city in Ibaraki Prefecture in Japan. Hitachinaka is a seaside city located about two to three hours (by train) north-east of Tokyo. As I understand it, I'd be driving between a few schools, namely elementary and jr. high schools, and there should be a few other foreigners in the area for me to learn from and make friends with while I'm settling in, which would be very welcome in a foreign country.

Just now I sent an email confirmation to Interac, accepting the placement. My new destination is Hitachinaka, which I cannot yet say three times fast without getting tongue-tied but will have to learn quickly!




There are some absolutely gorgeous scenery pictures online, on Google Images and on Flickr. Hitachinaka doesn't look like a terribly urban city, but having Mito-Shi (Mito City) nearby and Tokyo within train/car distance will definitely give me the urban flavor I love. I'm hoping, also, that Hitachinaka will fall enough on the side of rural that I'll be able to enjoy the peace of natural scenery and open space that can be both invigorating and liberating. I'm hoping it'll lull me into working on my hobbies which require more time and attention, namely photography and writing.

I'm hoping, essentially, that being in Japan will teach me to slow down, and to become more self-contained. American culture is loud, exuberant, and extroverted, whereas Japan's culture seems to focus more on attention to detail, introversion, and subtlety. I sometimes wonder how much of my personality is actually my own love of interaction and conversation, and how much of it has been pushed a bit beyond its limits because of the culture I've been brought up in. I'd like to learn how to be comfortable with leaving things unsaid, with keeping my inner life private and personal, and with enjoying a rich internal life without needing constant external stimulation to feel energized.

I don't know what I'll find in Japan; these are only my hopes. I'm open to anything and everything Japan has to teach me. I'm open to all the struggles, frustrations, and disappointments I know I'm sure to find, because I know they'll be accompanied by accomplishments, discoveries, and happiness.

I've been waiting so long for Japan. I've been waiting for Japan when I didn't even know I wanted it, or how much. 

Regardless of whether Japan is everything or nothing that I have wanted, it the realization of a life's dream.

Countdown to Hitachinaka has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment