Skip to main content

fancy a cuppa?

Quick update on the new job in Japan: forms have arrived at the Tokyo office, and new ones now need to be sent. It is a slow-going process. I'm going to do my best to make sure I keep things moving on my end!

In the mean time, I have grown so bored and lethargic that I have taken a part-time job at a local second-hand clothing store, which will fill my hours with much-needed activity, and fill my pockets with much-welcomed extra cash.

But that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm here to talk about how much I miss Taiwan, and what that has inspired me to do.

There's a tea website called Adagio Teas that I've discovered recently. The teas are loose-leaf, they come in a wide variety, and are quite good. They're also wonderfully cheap for loose-leaf teas.

One of the best things you can do on Adagio is create your own blends for others to discover and buy. You don't make money off it, but the activity itself is massively fun; you can even customize artwork for your tea if you're feeling extra creative.


Because I love Taiwan, and because I took so many brilliant pictures while I was there, I decided to create an entire line of customized blends inspired by places and things I loved in Taiwan. So if you like tea, or just want to see how else Taiwan has inspired me, take a look at the blends! All the art for the teas use pictures I personally took in Taiwan.

Jiufen
Ximen
Danshui
Da'an
Da'an at Night
Street Market in Summer
Maokong
Xinzhuang
Mango & Strawberry Ice

It continues to surprise me how much I do miss Taiwan. I don't remember the bad times, the "growing pains" of adjusting to a new country, climate, and culture. I remember the things I loved tremendously, like the efficiency of the MRT system, the mini-worlds of the night markets, the glorious color and extravagance of the fashion, the sweetness of the fruit, the cool refreshment of juices and teas, and the tomato rice at the restaurant by my apartment in Xinzhuang. I remember how much I loved the constant movement, the hum of human activity, the scooters overflowing the streets like schools of fish. I remember bike rides along the river, and nights spent in restaurants with friends. I remember discovering hotpot. I remember going shrimping. I remember the wonderful people who made Taiwan a home to me.

The one thing I hope for myself when I go to Japan is that I'll discover the same love for Japan as I found in Taiwan. I hope that once I move in, get used to my classes, adjust to the climate and the culture and re-orient myself to Japanese instead of English, I'll feel like Japan is a third home.

I know that the United States will always be my first home, and that I'll always love the food, climate, and culture here best simply because it is the most familiar and reminds me of family and childhood. But I want to find new homes everywhere, new foods to call "comfort foods", new occasions to look forward to, and new places that are familiar because of happy memories. I want to make Japan another place where all its corners are filled with memories of life, memories I call up with fondness and love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitachinaka, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan

That's one small confirmation email for Caitlin... one giant leap forward toward Japan. This evening I spoke with a representative from the Tokyo office of my employer company, Interac. The purpose of the phone call was to discuss a confirmed placement they had available for me, should I accept it: Hitachinaka, a city in Ibaraki Prefecture in Japan. Hitachinaka is a seaside city located about two to three hours (by train) north-east of Tokyo. As I understand it, I'd be driving between a few schools, namely elementary and jr. high schools, and there should be a few other foreigners in the area for me to learn from and make friends with while I'm settling in, which would be very welcome in a foreign country. Just now I sent an email confirmation to Interac, accepting the placement. My new destination is Hitachinaka, which I cannot yet say three times fast without getting tongue-tied but will have to learn quickly! There are some absolutely gorgeous scenery p...

learnin chinese one word at a time

The super fun thing about living in a different country with different customs, culture, language, and writing system is that getting "settled" is a daily, uphill battle for a while. Take, for example, the process of learning what parts of the body are acceptable to show. In Taiwan you can wear shorts almost up to your butt, but heaven forbid you wear a low-cut shirt or show your shoulders. (Although I think showing boob is worse than shoulders.) Skirts and shorts are really short around here, while tops tend to have very high necklines and almost always cover the shoulders. (Tank tops are usually for layering, so you'd be putting something on top of your shoulders, anyway.) Despite knowing this, I feel weird going out in shorts and heels, because in the States you'd be calling attention to yourself (particularly your butt) if you were wearing something that showed your legs and called attention to the way you were walking. Another thing that I'm going to have t...

paris, part one

I left for Paris on December 21st from Taoyuan International Airport in Taoyuan, Taiwan, which is a forty minute train-ride south-west of Xinzhuang. You already know about Taoyuan from the previous post, so I won't go into it. I left on time, though, and had an easy flight to Shanghai. Once in Shanghai, I quickly learned that I could not access the internet because I didn't have an "international phone" through which to receive the password. (Coming back from Paris, I found out that all I had to do was ask about it at the front desk.) My layover was short, though, so it wasn't too big of a hassle, and I did manage to change some TWD into RMB, the Chinese currency, and buy a snack. I needn't have worried about food, though, because I was well-fed on China Eastern's flight. Oh, China Eastern. I got to know them very well in that week, seeing as I had about three separate flights with them. The planes are very nice, and I was elated to find that I had a m...