Wednesday, August 1, 2012

typhoon day two

It's still raining. I don't think it stopped at all last night. Is this what it's like to be in the rainforest?


Many businesses are closed, including my gym. (So much sad face!!) The grocery store and convenience stores are open, though--businesses that are chain stores, in other words--so at least I won't starve. Plus I still have power, and internet, and no work, so this day isn't at all bad. The air is still humid, but VERY cool, and I've been leaving my door and window open and getting some excellent airflow through my apartment. I haven't turned on my fan all day. I hope this is what typhoon season means, that the weather will be getting cooler from here on out.


I went out and bought a German sausage, drinkable yogurt, and some little donuts for breakfast. I've been on a peanut-butter-eating spree lately, and I think it means I haven't been getting enough protein. I've been feeling weak at the gym, too, especially when lifting weights. A friend of mine who has been here for a year said that she had the same problem, although her solution was to eat blood pudding and I don't think I'm up for doing that quite yet. I think I'll just eat tofu and find places with less fatty meat. There's a food stand down the street that I'm really hoping is open today so I can go there for lunch. If not, I'm eating sushi. I need the protein and devouring jars of peanut butter ain't gonna cut it.


My camera's battery is near dead, otherwise I'd have film and pictures to show of the typhoon, aka Rain, Rain That Won't Go Away. I'm charging the battery now, so hopefully I'll have something to display later today!


UPDATE:


Battery semi-charged, sushi eaten, and the gym is open! As soon as I digest this deliciousness, I am going to go run/bike and generally exercise.
Earlier, and prior to this sushi-eating, Amelia called me out of the blue and asked if I'd been by the gym yet to see if it was open; I said I had, and it was closed. She then mentioned she was going to Sushi Express, and I suggested we go together. I've been there three times, now, and already I'm getting myself a cup of tea, grabbing chopsticks and filling a little plate of soy sauce like a pro.
I had five plates today. I was really hungry. :) First I ate my favorite, pastries with red bean paste in the middle. They're absolutely delicious.
Next I had grilled eel (I think), and shrimp and pineapple salad, which is just like tuna salad except with shrimp and pineapple. They pile it on top of little sushi rice patties wrapped in seaweed. It's very tasty. I tried ginger with it, my first time eating ginger, and it tastes a little pickled. Yum. :) I love eating at Sushi Express, because everything tastes wholesome and healthy, and unfried! I followed the eel up with milk pudding w/ brown sugar topping.
It didn't last long.
Finally I had cheese lobster salad Mexican-style, which was like the shrimp salad except with cheese, lobster, olives, and a bit of spice. Really tasty. Sometime I'm going to have to try the okra slices and the fried bean curd. Have I mentioned that pretty much everything in this place looks delicious?
After this, Amelia and I went to the gym to see if it was open, and the employees outside the doors said it would be open in ten minutes. We were so excited; we high-fived and everything, probably making the people there think we were nuts. She and I are both really serious about fitness, though, and in Taiwan, where nutrition labels are semi-informative (it says it has 100 calories per serving but there are five servings, for example) and most food is fried (Want some noodles and vegetables? Sure, let us fry/boil it in oil, first.) it's a little imperative to work out regularly to keep your calorie-loss count on par with what you're consuming. Especially since it isn't possible to eat sushi every day.


So Amelia and I went our separate ways, because we both just ate huge meals, but we'll definitely be returning to the gym to get our fitness on. Woot!!


More pics of Typhoon Day:


 A claw machine in the mall; with little plushie Spiderman AND Venom! Adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment