Sunday, June 15, 2014

the spice factor

Where have I been? What have I been up to? Who cares, I'm back, and I'm here to tell you about spicy food in Japan.

Now, I haven't been to every restaurant in Japan, nor have I tried every food the country has to offer. Based on some observations and what I've been told, however, I'm starting to think spicy food (actual spicy food) is a mostly foreign concept in Japan.

Last week, for lunch, my kids and I were served curry. As the third graders at my table tucked in, I noticed that the girl in the corner kept fanning her mouth after every bite. I thought, "Oh, the food is still too hot." But then the girl to my right began fanning her mouth as well, and since she knew the word in English for it, she explained to me, "Spicy!"

I was flabberghasted. Yes, the curry had a spice factor. But most Americans would consider it mild. These kids were acting like it was a few steps up from mild. They were drinking milk after almost every bite. I finished the whole bowl before I thought, "Yeah, I could use some milk to wash it down." This wasn't make-your-lips-tingle spicy. It was more, "Oh, hey, this food is spicy."

Fast forward to tonight, when I am finally opening my "Chili Powder" in preparation to make chili. Cautiously, I shake some chili powder onto my hand and taste it, so I know how much I should add. I taste chili pepper, and I wait a moment for the spiciness to kick in.

It doesn't. This product is labeled "Chili Powder" and has pictures of hot red chilies on the front. It tastes like chili peppers, but all the spiciness has been removed from it.

Oh, Japan. Your idea of spicy is adorable.

I'm probably going to have to buy real chili powder from Costco to give this chili a real kick. I don't like "melt-your-tongue" spicy, but come on, chili isn't chili without some fire.

And so the adventures in Japan continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment