Sunday, April 13, 2014

getting lost

The key to getting lost while driving in a foreign country where you can't read the signs (if there are signs) is to not panic.

The second key is to have a map with you. But not panicking is important.

I've gotten "lost" twice already. One time I was driving the wrong way down road 38, although I didn't know it. I stopped at a Shell station and the attendant pointed at places on my map and then out into the dark distance until I understood what she was saying. I appreciated that lady a lot because she didn't get frustrated by my obvious lack of Japanese, she just kept re-explaining in simpler terms until I got it.

The second time I got lost was today, when I doubted myself and didn't take a turn that it turned out I should have. When I realized that nothing was looking familiar, I sighed, found a parking lot to turn into, and re-traced my steps until I figured out where I probably was. I found a Lawson convenience store and a 7-Eleven marked on my map, and knew that if I kept driving and saw them, it'd be confirmation I was going in the right direction. I got back on the road, saw the stores, and from there quickly returned to an area I knew. I also learned a new way home, though this one isn't as direct as my other way.

In both cases, it was dark, I couldn't read or see any of the street signs (again, if there were any) and in a matter of minutes I found myself speeding down a street where nothing looked familiar. In both cases, I stopped driving before I got too far away from anything I knew, and used my map to get back on track.

I thought I would need a GPS to get around Hitachinaka, but it's turning out that I don't, at least not so far. My map, although completely in Japanese, is helping me get un-confused as well as helping me confirm when I am going in the right direction.

I'm glad I'll have it with me when I go to Mitanada tomorrow for my first day of work. I've already been to the school once, but it'll help to have backup in case I need it.

Going to bed soon; it's an early and exciting day for me tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment