Skip to main content

thirst

One thing I've noticed is that there are a lot of drinks available in Taiwan. Tea, milk, drinkable yogurt, fruit juice, coffee, and many combinations of those. While out with friends this evening, we stopped at a tea stand to get drinks. Then, later, I was in the grocery store looking at all the drink options available because I was thirsty, but I didn't want to just drink water. This made me wonder if maybe the reason there are so many different liquids to drink here is because people need to consume lots of water, and drinking water all the time would be just plain boring.
Think about it. How much water do you drink daily? Maybe 20oz? 40? That's at least 2 standard-sized bottles of water. What about on hot days, how much do you drink? What if it was that hot almost every day for five-odd months at a time? How much water could you really consume on a daily basis before you said, "Man, this is DULL. I wanna drink something different."
I think this is in the States a bit already, what with "flavored" water and all, but I still think it's more like a treat, a way to make the chore of drinking water tasty. Around here liquid is essential to your day. Some mornings I sweat a profuse amount just getting from my front door to work. Then I sweat when I'm in the classroom, and when I go outside for lunch, and then when I go home, and again if I go outside for dinner... See where this is going? Plus, when you're moving around so much, I think you lose more water anyway, so drinking something to put water back in your body is really important.

And that's my random thought for the day.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitachinaka, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan

That's one small confirmation email for Caitlin... one giant leap forward toward Japan. This evening I spoke with a representative from the Tokyo office of my employer company, Interac. The purpose of the phone call was to discuss a confirmed placement they had available for me, should I accept it: Hitachinaka, a city in Ibaraki Prefecture in Japan. Hitachinaka is a seaside city located about two to three hours (by train) north-east of Tokyo. As I understand it, I'd be driving between a few schools, namely elementary and jr. high schools, and there should be a few other foreigners in the area for me to learn from and make friends with while I'm settling in, which would be very welcome in a foreign country. Just now I sent an email confirmation to Interac, accepting the placement. My new destination is Hitachinaka, which I cannot yet say three times fast without getting tongue-tied but will have to learn quickly! There are some absolutely gorgeous scenery p...

gojira is hungry

On my first day of teaching, I played a game with some of my classes that is called "Wolf," but I renamed it "Gojira" (Godzilla) to make it a bit more culturally accessible. The game has Gojira (me) "sleeping," while the students call out a question, such as "What's your name?". If I give the key answer ("My name is Gojira!" and not, say, "My name is Pikachu."), I pretend to chase a few lucky students back to their seats. If I catch them, I get a point. If I don't catch them, the students (as a group) get a point. I'm explaining this to you so you understand who "Gojira" is in the context of this update. Gojira is me. And every day, after chasing around kids, Gojira is very hungry. I have two burners in my little "kitchen" area, plus a sink, some shelves, and a cabinet the size of a shoebox. This is my space. Still, it's infinitely more cooking room and appliances than I had in Taiwan. I...

paris, part one

I left for Paris on December 21st from Taoyuan International Airport in Taoyuan, Taiwan, which is a forty minute train-ride south-west of Xinzhuang. You already know about Taoyuan from the previous post, so I won't go into it. I left on time, though, and had an easy flight to Shanghai. Once in Shanghai, I quickly learned that I could not access the internet because I didn't have an "international phone" through which to receive the password. (Coming back from Paris, I found out that all I had to do was ask about it at the front desk.) My layover was short, though, so it wasn't too big of a hassle, and I did manage to change some TWD into RMB, the Chinese currency, and buy a snack. I needn't have worried about food, though, because I was well-fed on China Eastern's flight. Oh, China Eastern. I got to know them very well in that week, seeing as I had about three separate flights with them. The planes are very nice, and I was elated to find that I had a m...